Plainege Youth Sports Council
The mission of the Plainedge Youth Sports Council is to provide coordination to our youth programs, and serve as a link to the Plainedge Public School's Athletic Department. The goal of this cooperative is to improve the effectiveness of all programs and in doing so, provide greater athletic experiences for children.
Respect for all is the key for anyone involved in athletics at each and every level; that includes the way coaches treat their players, the interaction between parents, coaches and other team members; and, the way individuals behave toward the players and parents of opposing teams. In order to maximize the growth and development of all participants, the following code of conduct is established:
PLAYERS CODE OF CONDUCT:
1. I will play for fun!
2. I will work hard to improve my skills.
3. I will follow and learn from my coach's
directions and suggestions.
4. I will learn and play by the rules of
5. I will play fair and try hard during the
game and remember that winning isn't
6. I will always respect my teammates,
opponents, coaches and officials.
7. I will not boo, taunt or yell negative
comments about my team, coach, the
opponents or the officials.
8. I will support my teammates and tell them
when they are playing well.
9. I will never aruge with an officials
10.I will always shake hands with my
opponents after the game.
PARENTS/SPECTATOR'S CODE OF CONDUCT
1. I will not force my child to participate
in a sport.
2. I will remember that children participate
in athletics to have fun and I will do my
best to make sure that happens.
3. I will let the coach coach and will
refrain from yelling directions to the
4. I will speak to the coach after the game
not in front of the children if i have any
5. I will respect the rules of the game and
never argue with the officials.
6. I will be a positive role model by
supporting and respecting the players.
7. I will cheer for all the children on the
team,not just my own.
8. I will have my child arrive on time for
all games and practices and let the coach
know in advance if my child will be
absent, arriving late or leaving early.
9. I will place the emotional and physical
well being of my child ahead of a personal
desire to win.
10.I WILL DEMAND A SPORTS ENVIRONMENT
FOR MY CHILD THAT IS FREE FROM DRUGS,
TABACCO AND ALCOHOL; AND, I WILL
REFRAIN FROM THEIR USE AT ALL EVENTS.
11.I will remember that the game is for our
children - not for the adults.
COACH'S CODE OF CONDUCT
1. I will make skill development, sportman-
ship, teamwork, fun, and learning the
rules of the game my goals for the team.
2. I will be a positive role model by
respecting my team, our opponents and the
3. I will learn and play by the rules of the
game and never argue with the official's
4. I wll be generous with my praise,
emphasizing the children's effort and not
the outcome of the game.
5. I will be fair, honest and consistent in
my coaching philosophies and practices.
6. I will ensure that all children have an
equitable playing experience consistent
with the rules and regulations of this
7. I will strive to hold regularly scheduled
organized practices throughout the season.
8. I will recognize that children learn
differently and adapt my practices to the
needs of each child.
9. I will participate in training
opportunities to advance my coaching
10.I will communicate clearly with parents
about my goals for the team and what I
expect their role and behavior as parents
11.I will ask my assistant coaches, my
players and my parents to refrain from
booing, taunting and making negative
comments regarding either team.
12.I will not encourage any behaviors or
practices that would endanger the health
and well-being of the athletes.
CONSEQUENCES OFR VIOLATION OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT
In sum, the Plainedge Youth Sports Council desires to create a positive and enjoyable environment for all participants. Behaviors or actions that violate this code of conduct will result in the following course of action:
The individual violating the code will be discreetly approached by either the coach or a member of the Board pointing out steps that will be taken if this type of behavior exists. A positive dialogue should accompany this notification.
In the event that this behavior continues, a player may be suspended until such time a meeting with the coach and the parent can be arranged. If a parent is the guilty party, he or she will be asked to discontinue appearing at any Plainedge Youth Sports Council event. In this case, the child will be permitted to continue to participate as long as the parent complies.
Following the suspension of a player, if another incident occurs, he or she will be removed from the program. If an incident occurs involving a parent or coach who had been disciplined previously, their child may also be eliminated from further participation at ALL Plainedge Youth Sports Council activities.
Any behavior or action described as physical, emotional or verbal abuse will result in an immediate suspension or expulsion from the activities of the organization and will be brought to the Plainedge Youth Sports Council for further review and possible sanction.